An incredibly diverse range of commercial, industrial, education, healthcare, transport, leisure and residential buildings are being constructed around the world. The one thing these buildings all have in common is that their clients need them to work correctly.
Commissioning is a quality assurance process which is used in construction to check a structure and its subsystems (such as air conditioning, fire protection, electrical, lighting, plumbing, heating, communication and security systems) to ensure the building meets the building owner's/occupant's expectations. It is part of project delivery and plays a crucial role, as commissioning is the 1% that impacts the other 99% of the building performance as required by the client.
This unique course will explain what commissioning is, why it is so important and how to put it into practice at each stage of a construction project – from pre-design to post-handover.
On the course, delegates will be presented with best practice guidance and tools to take back to their workplaces and improve how buildings are commissioned.
Who Should Attend
This course has been developed for professionals involved in the planning, design, construction, operation and maintenance of the built environment. This includes:
- Commissioning Coordinators/Agents/Managers
- Quality Managers
- Building Services Managers
- Building/Premises Managers
- Estates Managers
- Property Developers
- Property Owners
- Project Managers
- Pre-construction Managers
- Construction Managers
- Bid Managers
- Contract Managers
- Commercial Managers
- Procurement Managers
- Cost Consultants/Estimators
- Architects/Design Engineers
- Design Managers
- CAD Technicians
- Site Engineers/Supervisors
- Facilities Managers
- Maintenance Engineers/Managers
- LEED Designers
- (MEP) Contractors and Consultants
- Physical Asset Managers
Benefits of Attending
- Learn the seven outcomes that clients and construction project teams should be looking to achieve
- Acknowledge the crucial role that commissioning plays in achieving these outcomes
- Define what commissioning is
- Identify the eight stages of the commissioning process for a construction project
- Determine what the management of the commissioning process entails
- Understand what key activities should take place at each stage of the commissioning process
- Discuss what documents should be used to put these activities into practice
- Share international best practice about the commissioning of buildings
Continuing Professional Development (CPD)
Established in 1996, The CPD Certication Service is the independent CPD accreditation centre working across all sectors, disciplines and further learning applications and supports policies of institutional and professional organisations globally.
CPD is the term used to describe the learning activities professionals engage in to develop and enhance their abilities and keep skills and knowledge up to date. This course is an accredited Continuing Professional Development (CPD) training which means it meets CPD standards and benchmarks. The learning value has been scrutinised to ensure integrity and quality.
Glenn Hawkins has over 30 years' experience of working with construction project teams. This work has involved delivering projects, studying projects, writing about project delivery and training project professionals. Glenn is:
The Address Hotel, Dubai Marina
The Address Hotel, Dubai Marina
The Address Dubai Marina
Al Marsa Street
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Telephone: +971 4 436 7777
Fax: +971 4 436 7788
Course fees include documentation, luncheon and refreshments. Delegates who attend all sessions will receive an Informa Certificate of Attendance.
Pricing excludes 5% VAT, where applicable